Guess who got asked to speak at our local Writer’s Conference?
This is what I spoke on….. What are your thoughts???
“A blog (a portmanteau of the term web log) is a personal journal published on the World Wide Web consisting of discrete entries (“posts”) typically displayed in reverse chronological order so the most recent post appears first. Blogs are usually the work of a single individual, occasionally of a small group, and often are themed on a single subject. Blog can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.
The emergence and growth of blogs in the late 1990s coincided with the advent of web publishing tools that facilitated the posting of content by non-technical users. (Previously a knowledge of such technologies as HTML and FTP had been required to publish content on the Web.)
Although not a must, most good quality blogs are interactive, allowing visitors to leave comments and even message each other via widgets on the blogs and it is this interactivity that distinguishes them from other static websites. In that sense, blogging can be seen as a form of social networking. Indeed, bloggers do not only produce content to post on their blogs but also build social relations with their readers and other bloggers.
As of 16 February 2011, there were over 156 million public blogs in existence.” ~~~per Wikipedia
Some Benefits of Blogging:
- Obey God’s word
Let this be written for a future generation, that a people not yet created may praise the Lord. Psalm 102:18
Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, ‘ Write all the words which I have spoken to you in a book. Jeremiah 30:1-3
Though I have many things to write to you, I do not want to do so with paper and ink; but I hope to come to you and speak face to face, so that your joy may be made full. 2 John 1:11
- World reaching ministry and witness. You are connected to the World-Wide-Web and you never know who you will reach.
I can assure you that whoever believes in me will do the same things I have done. And they will do even greater things than I have done, because I am going to the Father. John 14:12 (ERV)
- Reach family and friends that don’t know God and influence them. You can say many things on your blog that you may not have the opportunity or the ability to say to them in person.
- A place to just get started publicly writing. C’mon and dip your toe in!
- Cross promotion…. you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours!
- As you follow and watch other blogs, especially agent blogs, you will “be in the know” about upcoming trends, first to see and hear new info and leads. You can directly interact with these people via commenting, through Facebook, etc.
- Blogging will evoke no shortage of emotions out of you! Fun, soothing, exhilarating, frustrating….
- Use it as an opportunity for journaling.
- You may be one degree of separation away from the contact you need to make!
- Connect with others in your niche or have the same passion as you.
- Do you consider blogging a chore? It will be a discipline to build your writing skills.
- For all future author wannabees, it will be required! Truth is: every author has to have a blog today. I don’t think it is an option anymore.
- Poetry and other difficult genres to enter into can be done here
- Blogging provides a way for agents or publishers to find you at your home base.
- Place to brand yourself, make your platform, www.yourname.com
- Say what’s really on your mind, Be regarded, acknowledged, this is your pulpit, can hit on hard areas like politics.
- Make friends. Yes, even BFF’s!!!
- Sell stuff. Do you or someone you know have a side-business?
- Get freebies! Books, product promotions, etc.
- Make Money~~~Ka-ching!!! Sell ad space or get paid to write blog posts.
- Blogging can and will lead to other things in your future.
There you have it, my list.
What’s your favorite reason to blog? Do you have other ideas that I missed?